Already in the beginning of the twentieth century the Eucharistic- centered re-awakening, initiated by St. Pius X, had its impact in the Syro-Malabar Church. The missionary awareness and enthusiasm of the period also had its influence on this Apostolic Church. The Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament was born in this historical context.
The idea of a new religious community originated in Fr. Mathew Alakalam. His companion, Fr. Joseph Paredom co-operated with him in nurturing it. They, with the blessing and permission of Mar James Kalachery, the late bishop of Changanacherry, had the congregation founded on 7th May 1933 at Mallappally. Before long the residence was shifted to Kaduvakulam, and the Little Flower Ashram there is considered to be the Mother House of the congregation.
The founding Fathers of the congregation have entrusted to its members, as their spiritual heritage, a religious life marked by love and single-minded devotion to the Eucharistic Lord and missionary vitality. Its charism is to live and proclaim the Eucharistic Mystery that is celebrated, to gather the children of God around the altar, to ‘praise God in the midst of His Church, to take part in her sacrifice and to eat the Lord’s supper’ (SC 10) and to uphold the real presence of the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. The members try to obtain this through their dedicated life and various apostolates.
The congregation has, at present, 369 professed members. There are 39 novices and 166 minor seminarians. It has 76 Houses and Institutions in various dioceses in and outside India.